Arrears in Child Support Payments

A person who owes a court-ordered amount of child support may fall behind in paying this sum. This occurs because of many reasons, including illness or sudden financial hardships, changes in custody and the needs of a child, or the occurrence of an employment change or remarriage. If you are behind on your child support payments, talk with a lawyer to learn more about what options you have to catch up on what is owed and avoid legal penalties.

Paying Off Past-Due Child Support

If you have a large child support debt, you may want to consider taking out a personal loan to cover it. These loans are available from banks, credit unions and online lenders. Your interest rate will depend on your credit rating, so it is important to shop around before applying.

The amount of the loan will be based on what you owe in child support. If you have a high credit rating, you should be able to get a loan for more than the total amount of your past-due support.

You can also try to contact the other parent and request that they pay a portion of their support obligation through a payment plan or in other ways. While this approach will not eliminate your obligation, it can make it easier to pay the debt and avoid legal consequences that could be as severe as wage garnishment or jail time.

Credit Reporting

Under federal law, child support agencies are obligated to report past-due child support to credit reporting agencies. This can cause problems for parents who try to apply for a mortgage or other financing to purchase property.

Liens on Real Estate

A lien can be created against any real property you own if you owe back child support or arrears to the custodial parent. If you own a home or other property, you should consult a family law attorney to discuss the best way to handle your arrears and your rights regarding the lien.

If you are behind on your child support payments, it is crucial to act quickly. If you don’t, your income will be withheld automatically by the government to pay off the debt. This can result in a reduction of your income or even a loss of your income entirely.

The amount of the debt can be reduced by a judge through a modification order if you can demonstrate that your financial situation has changed significantly since the child support order was issued. You should be able to show that the modification is reasonable and will benefit you in the long run.

Other legal tools can also be used to enforce child support orders and collect the money that is owed. Some states will freeze bank accounts or seize other property, while others can revoke professional licenses and driver’s licenses of parents who are delinquent on their child support obligations.

A custodial parent’s failure to pay child support can be a serious issue, and it is not an easy problem to resolve. If you have questions about your support payments or are struggling to catch up on the amount owed, call Davis and Associates, Attorneys at Law, LLC today. Our attorneys can guide you through the complex process of settling your case and helping you recover the money that is owed.